In late 2022 the Minister for Education formally commenced the Australian Universities Accord process, announcing the appointment of a Panel of eminent Australians led by Prof. Mary O’Kane, and Terms of Reference to guide the Accord process. The Panel commenced its consultations with the sector by seeking feedback on the priorities for the Accord and the Terms of Reference. They subsequently released a Discussion Paper seeking submissions from the sector.
The Discussion Paper canvasses a wide range of topics, asking 44 questions of the sector as it looks to craft a new vision for Australian higher education. In responding to the issues raised in the paper, my submission addressed approximately half of the Paper’s questions by attempting to answer seven broader questions:
- What higher education funding arrangements are needed?
- What kinds of higher education institutions does Australia need?
- Which students get access to Australian higher education?
- How to encourage quality teaching and learning?
- What level of digital capability is needed?
- How do we encourage more lifelong learning?
- How do we strengthen VET pathways?
My submission can be downloaded here.